global warming science without the hype
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored!" -Aldous Huxley
It's amazing how many people go to the blogosphere for their news and science information. Unfortunately, many only read the news that aligns with their pre-existing notions.
But when we contract a life-threatening illness, do we take this approach? Generally not. We want the absolute best surgeon we can find, regardless of their politics.
Please bear with us, this website is going thru extensive redesign
and the new site will be up soon!
9/5/09 Global temperature graphs:
This graph from NOAA shows the annual trend in average global air temperature in degrees Celsius, through 2008. For each year, the range of uncertainty is indicated by the vertical bars. The blue line tracks the changes in the trend over time. Image courtesy NOAA's National Climatic Data Center.
Global Monthly Mean Surface Air Temperature Change, 1999-2008. Data sources: NASA GISS, UAH, RSS, HadCRUT
The above three graphs track temperature anomalies for northern, low, and southern latitudes. The black dotted line is the annual mean and the red solid line is the 5-year mean. Images courtesy NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies Surface Temperature Analysis.
9/5/09 Global greenhouse gas (GHG) graph:
Global averages of the concentrations of the major, well-mixed, long-lived greenhouse gases - carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, CFC-12 and CFC-11 from the NOAA global flask sampling network since the beginning of 1979. These gases account for about 96% of the direct radiative forcing by long-lived greenhouse gases since 1750. The remaining 4% is contributed by an assortment of 15 minor halogenated gases (see text). Methane data prior to 1983 are annual averages from Etheridge et al. (1998), adjusted to the NOAA calibration scale [Dlugokencky et al., 2005].
Text of Doug's 2006 correspondence with Dr. James Hansen, the director of research at
NASA's Goddard Institute of Space Studies, regarding earth temperature satellite data:
Dear Dr. Hansen,
I have been reviewing your greenhouse gas (GHG) studies which show a sharp acceleration in CO2 levels starting in the 1940's. Local global warming skeptics are arguing that "satellite readings show the planet cooled between 1940 and 1980." Is this correct? If so, how do we explain the discrepancy? (pollution?, volcanic activity?)
I know you are very busy and want to thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.
Satellite measurements of temperature did not begin until 1979. Surface measurements show a small (~0.1C) cooling between 1940 and 1970. The reason for it is uncertain. The net human made GHG increases did not begin to increase sharply until about 1970. Since 1975 global temperature has increased 0.6C. The reason for the slight cooling after 1940 is uncertain, because we did not have measurements of all forcings, and 0.1C is small enough that it could be natural variability.
The "contrarians" who keep pointing at minor issues mostly have some reason for wanting to make the public believe that there are still big scientific uncertainties. They get much more attention than they deserve. It is too bad that our media always like to find a contrary voice for the sake of "balance" even when the science has become unbalanced and very clear.
H. L. Mencken believed it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting.
Some good non-biased global climate science links:
"Scientists report severe retreat of Arctic ice," pdf from NYTimes on NSIDC report, September 21, 2007
How a global climate model works video from National Center for Atmospheric Research
How do we know the earth is warming now? from National Center for Atmospheric Research
El Nino and La Nina from National Center for Atmospheric Research
"How can a gallon of gasoline produce 20 pounds of carbon dioxide?" from www.fueleconomy.gov
NASA: Goddard Institute for Space Studies
The National Snow & Ice Data Center (NSIDC) News and Analysis
I've linked here to their News and Analysis page. If you read nothing else here, read the first paragraph on the LH column.
The Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center (CDIAC)
Website on climate science by working climate scientists: realclimate.org
Penn State Earth System Science Center (ESSC)
National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder, Colo
University of Oxford - Atmospheric, Oceanic and Planetary Physics
Climate System Research Center at the University of Massachusetts
MIT Atmospheric Sciences Department
Stanford University Cimate and Energy Project
Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research
Here is a link to a disturbing story of scientists being paid off to dispute global warming science:
Read about "Mr. Cool", ex-professor Timothy Ball, a popular Canadian speaker
This expose' was published in the Canadian newspaper GLOBE & MAIL August 12, 2006